I tend to think of myself as a fairly simple person. Flashy doesn’t impress me much. True art, design, and magnificence show through in forms of simplicity.
This little series of entries is going to be shared over the next week all started when I noticed the silly things men wore in the office thinking they looked good. I never gave my sense of style much thought until I realized I had a personal set of simple rules that the women around me told me worked very well, at least at the office. These initial few rules turned into a small series of rules, thoughts, and philosophies. Most of them I follow, but like all rules sometimes they need to be broken too.
Common sense ideas that don’t seem very common
- Fashions may change. Having style does not.
- Button-down collars should only be worn without a tie.
- Use brass collar stays.
- V-neck undershirts are for open collars.
- Crew necks are for shirts with ties.
- The tip of your tie should meet your waist or belt buckle.
- That little dimple in your tie makes a big difference.
- A four-in-one-hand knot is all you need.
- Match your socks to your pants.
- Three hundred dollar shoes are worth every dollar as long as you take care of them.
- Use cedar shoetrees.
- Light heather grey undershirts look better than white under a white dress shirt.
- Moisturize your face. You will thank yourself when you are 60.
- If your boss wears a suit, you should too.
- Short sleeve dress shirts and ties do not go together. Actually, there is not a good reason to wear short sleeve dress shirts… ever.
- Undershirts are a must. No one wants to see your man boobs or hairy chest poking through that shirt. Also, they help your dress shirts last longer as well as keep you warmer in cool weather and cool when it is warmer.
Up next… Libations